Thursday, April 2, 2009

Breaking News Update on the Purple Cauliflower

Big news, folks: I used the purple cauliflower. In an actual meal. And the kids ate it and asked for more. It helps that they are cruciferous-loving weirdos, of course (broccoli? bring it on!).

Here's the scoop:
1/4 head purple cauliflower (YES that means I still have 3/4 left), chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
1 lb cut-up pork
splash rice vinegar
splash (BIG splash) chicken broth
2 tblsp chopped cilantro
1/2 lb chunky pasta (my kids like campanelle, which is shaped like miniature ice-cream cones)
1/4 cup ricotta cheese

Drop the cauliflower and zucchini into water and bring to a boil while you brown the pork. Splash in your chicken broth. Drain veggies and add to meat; start pasta. Stir until broth is gone; splash in rice vinegar. Add ricotta to drained pasta. Add cilantro to meat and veggies just before serving. Takes about 30 minutes and is surprisingly yummy. And even though the kids declared "Ew! What is this? I'm not going to eat it!" when I dished it out, they BOTH did. Every single bite.

In other news, I've been obsessed with design, on scales both large (landscape) and small (my yard, which has been putting me into a total funk lately). I don't think this is going to become any sort of DESIGN blog or anything, but stay tuned for my attempts to figure this stuff out. Hopefully with photos.

No comments: